Got TIPS or BREAKING NEWS? Please call 1-284-442-8000 or Email ALL news to:newsvino@outlook.com; ads call 1-284-440-6666

UPDATE: PI for Anegada attempted murder case reset for Sept

Francis, 35, a USVI national and resident of Anegada; along with Benti, 34, of Long Bay, West End, were initially charged with aggravated burglary but this was later changed to attempted murder. Photo: VINO/File
ROAD TOWN, Tortola, VI – The Crown’s case against Kenny Francis and Kasim Benti was set for preliminary inquiry today, July 24, 2013 but Senior Crown Counsel Sarah Benjamin explained that Crown Counsel Valston Graham, who had conduct of the matter, was not available for today’s hearing as he was at the High Court.

Francis, 35, a USVI national and resident of Anegada; along with Benti, 34, of Long Bay, West End, were initially charged with aggravated burglary but this was later changed to attempted murder.

Attorney at law Anthea Smith, who represented Fancis in the matter, said her client has since not received disclosure of the court documents even though this was promised some time ago.

Francis was initially arrested on October 6, 2012 for the offence of aggravated burglary which was later withdrawn and changed to attempted murder.

The duo previously appeared before the Magistrate’s court on October 11, 2012 when Crown Counsel Leslie Ann Faulkner had then told the court that Francis allegedly entered a house in Anegada and attempted to murder Marcos Huggins.

Benti indicated that he was now representing himself in the matter.

The date for the preliminary inquiry has now been set for September 12, 2013.

See previous story posted November 29, 2012:

Man accused of attempted murder in Anegada

- fails to secure freedom despite reduced bail application

ROAD TOWN, Tortola, VI – Kenny Francis, 34, was remanded to prison once more after his lawyer’s application for a bail variation before the Magistrate’s court failed to secure his freedom on November 29, 2012.

Mr Francis, a USVI national, was arrested initially on the charge of aggravated burglary but this was subsequently changed to attempted murder along with his co-accused Kasim Benti. Benti’s lawyer, Patrick Thompson, was able to have a $25,000 cash component of a $100,000 bail revoked on October 22, 2012 after an appeal was made before the High Court.

Senior Crown Counsel Sarah Benjamin related that disclosure had already been made in the matter after which Mr. Francis’ attorney, Coreen George then made an oral application before Magistrate Tamia Richards for a variation of bail following a written application made on October 24, 2012. The cash component of his $100,000 bail agreement was set at $40,000.

Senior Magistrate Richards indicated that she was not inclined to allow any bail conditions without a cash component but offered to consider the application that was made.

Documents were presented to the Magistrate which indicated that the defendant’s family could offer surety in the form of property which was valued in the region of $1,000,000. Upon reviewing these, Magistrate Richards offered that a loan application could be made before the bank for the cash component to be raised based on the value of the property. Ms Benjamin agreed that the property had enough equity to raise the cash component of the bail conditions.

The issue of a paper committal was discussed and both Ms George and Ms Benjamin offered no objection to the proposal but Mr Thompson’s position could not be ascertained on the issue as he was not present at the time the matter came before the court.

Magistrate Richards ruled that she was not satisfied that the cash component could not be raised and said the bail conditions were and remained reasonable and therefore denied the application for a bail variation.

Francis was arrested on October 6, 2012 for the offence of aggravated burglary which was later withdrawn and changed to attempted murder. The duo previously appeared before the Magistrate’s court on October 11, 2012 when Crown Counsel Leslie Ann Faulkner had then told the court that Francis entered a house in Anegada and attempted to murder Marcos Huggins.

The matter will be heard again on January 21, 2013.

14 Responses to “UPDATE: PI for Anegada attempted murder case reset for Sept”

  • -------------- (29/11/2012, 09:01) Like (0) Dislike (0) Reply
    oh no
  • leve he dere (29/11/2012, 09:18) Like (0) Dislike (1) Reply
    leve he dere so he could understand what he did and the serious of his action. i hope this will help him to cool down his bad attitude he always up and down curse people for no or stupid reasons like the world fraid him
  • tosweet (29/11/2012, 09:49) Like (0) Dislike (0) Reply
    Not sexc Kenny, boi wah wrong wid u hmm
  • Orion Law (29/11/2012, 10:23) Like (0) Dislike (3) Reply
    He should try to aquire the services of a top law agency. Orion Law is a highly respected firm i'm sure they could get him off. There best lawyer has a lot of pull in the territory and leaves no stones unturned. After 2015 or 16 or whenever he has more free time to focus on business if he doesn't go into comedy. You should really see him shine, unless he gets fat or lazy. I didnt know he was so very bright since he never really spoke to or knew anyone before he became our best politician.
  • Hmmmm (29/11/2012, 11:25) Like (0) Dislike (0) Reply
    That should hold Patrice M.
  • Joe Joe (30/11/2012, 07:38) Like (0) Dislike (0) Reply
    hope all goes well and justice prevails!
  • jtv (24/07/2013, 14:39) Like (0) Dislike (0) Reply
    Not in the bvi
  • SexxyRedd (24/07/2013, 15:09) Like (1) Dislike (0) Reply
    You all just need to stop messing with good peeps and leave Kenny ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • devil (24/07/2013, 17:40) Like (1) Dislike (2) Reply
    kenny you will pay
  • zzzzzzzzzzzzz (24/07/2013, 23:13) Like (0) Dislike (0) Reply
    anegada is such a peaceful place me did not know they had crime over there
  • Release (27/07/2013, 11:50) Like (0) Dislike (1) Reply
    Let them go. Both are gonna be cut into pieces before they know it anyway.


Create a comment


Create a comment

Disclaimer: Virgin Islands News Online (VINO) welcomes your thoughts, feedback, views, bloggs and opinions. However, by posting a blogg you are agreeing to post comments or bloggs that are relevant to the topic, and that are not defamatory, liable, obscene, racist, abusive, sexist, anti-Semitic, threatening, hateful or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be excluded permanently from making contributions. Please view our declaimer above this article. We thank you in advance for complying with VINO's policy.

Weather


Follow Us On

Disclaimer: All comments posted on Virgin Islands News Online (VINO) are the sole views and opinions of the commentators and or bloggers and do not in anyway represent the views and opinions of the Board of Directors, Management and Staff of Virgin Islands News Online and its parent company.