Got TIPS or BREAKING NEWS? Please call 1-284-442-8000 or Email ALL news to:newsvino@outlook.com; ads call 1-284-440-6666

Massive recovery! Burnt 3-year-old returns to VI after T&T treatment

- Family expressed gratitude for all public assistance
3-year-old Micheal A. Charles who suffered second-degree burns in a kitchen accident at the family's Virgin Gorda home on Sunday, October 6, 2019, and was subsequently airlifted to Trinidad and Tobago for treatment, has returned to the Virgin Islands (VI) after a miraculous recovery. Photo: GoFundMe
VINO had asked the Mother for an update on child's condition and according to the GOFundMe account created to help raise money for the medical expenses, the family expressed gratitude for all assistance and support given to make the recovery a possibility. Photo: Provided
VINO had asked the Mother for an update on child's condition and according to the GOFundMe account created to help raise money for the medical expenses, the family expressed gratitude for all assistance and support given to make the recovery a possibility. Photo: Provided
Less than 24 hours after a VINO report, a GoFundMe account was created in aid of the child and he was airlifted on Friday, October 11, 2019, after the online fundraising initiative led to the family raising some $6000 in funding to down pay for the air transportation cost to Trinidad and Tobago from the Virgin Islands. Photo: Facebook
Less than 24 hours after a VINO report, a GoFundMe account was created in aid of the child and he was airlifted on Friday, October 11, 2019, after the online fundraising initiative led to the family raising some $6000 in funding to down pay for the air transportation cost to Trinidad and Tobago from the Virgin Islands. Photo: Facebook
The Child received severe burns at the family's Virgin Gorda home on Sunday, October 6, 2019. Photo: Provided
The Child received severe burns at the family's Virgin Gorda home on Sunday, October 6, 2019. Photo: Provided
ROAD TOWN, Tortola, VI - 3-year-old Micheal A. Charles, who suffered second-degree burns in a kitchen accident at the family's Virgin Gorda home on Sunday, October 6, 2019, and was subsequently airlifted to Trinidad and Tobago for treatment, has returned to the Virgin Islands (VI) after a miraculous recovery.

Gratitude

“He is doing fine, Thank you,” were simple but reassuring words from the child’s mother, Vernessa Charles who has been in constant communication with Virgin Islands News Online (VINO) throughout the ordeal.

VINO had asked the mother for an update on the child's condition and, according to the GOFundMe account created to help raise money for the medical expenses, the family expressed gratitude for all assistance and support given to make the recovery a possibility.

Michael was released from the hospital late October and is in the care of his parents, “He was happy to leave the hospital and was all in smiles,” the family statement said.

“The parents were given cream and other prescriptions to purchase for his skin care and was told upon arrival to Tortola that Micheal should be seen at the hospital immediately for evaluation.”

According to the statement, they were instructed to keep the wounds covered at all times especially when out in public to prevent infection.

Timeline of Events 

On October 9, 2019, VINO reported that the family of the 3-year old was pleading for financial assistance after he received second-degree burns in a kitchen accident at the family's home on Sunday, October 6, 2019.

The issue was first brought to the media's attention through several posts by the child's family, specifically the child's uncle, Benjamin Mathurin, who pleaded with the public and members on social media to help donate toward the high medical bill.

Less than 24 hours after the report, a GoFundMe account was created in aid of the child and he was airlifted to Trinidad and Tobago on Friday, October 11, 2019, after the online fundraising initiative led to the family raising some $6000 in funding to down pay for the air transportation cost to Trinidad and Tobago. 

On October 15, 2019, the family said: "Michael since received a blood transfusion and was being fed through a syringe, "He is constantly experiencing pain but is receiving medication to help him be more comfortable," an update said.

Skin Treatment 

During that same period, the update noted that Michael also underwent some skin treatment to remove the remainder of the damaged skin, "His appetite is lost and is eating very little, Michael has had to be fed with a syringe," this news website was informed. 

On October 26, 2019, another update indicated that Michael was making progress, "he is off the feeding and his appetite has increased. His skin is very sensitive especially to the touch but he is able to move around a little bit more." 

He was released from the Trinidad and Tobago hospital on October 29, 2019, and placed in the care of his parents and is now receiving home care and local treatment as per the recommendations of the T&T hospital.

14 Responses to “Massive recovery! Burnt 3-year-old returns to VI after T&T treatment”

  • Sue (08/11/2019, 15:31) Like (21) Dislike (0) Reply
    Thank you jesus
  • thank god (08/11/2019, 15:41) Like (18) Dislike (0) Reply
    This is great news!!! Speedy recovery precious..
  • Lovely (08/11/2019, 15:58) Like (15) Dislike (0) Reply
    Praise God
  • Reader (08/11/2019, 16:10) Like (12) Dislike (0) Reply
    Hallelujah!
  • great news (08/11/2019, 18:05) Like (2) Dislike (0) Reply
    I am so glad his face was spared.

    Everyone please be extremely careful with hot items when around kids and teach one another the dangers. Some people may not have heard of this incident so let’s all spread the word of how important it is to be extremely careful with children around. When growing back in the 70s my mother would always tell us call out to the others when carrying the hot water for our bath; especially coming around corners. Back in those days we didn’t had hot water running through the pipes and the water was heated on the stove.
  • Blessed (08/11/2019, 18:22) Like (4) Dislike (2) Reply
    Thank You Jesus... My God is AWESOME
  • Styler (08/11/2019, 19:52) Like (3) Dislike (0) Reply
    Safe recovery to the little child my heart goes out to the parents as I am a grandmother of three busy grandchildren always shouting at them to keep out the kitchen. Pray God’s healing power on him and keep him Speedy recovery
  • WHAT!!! (08/11/2019, 20:20) Like (3) Dislike (13) Reply
    So why did your AWESOME god allow the poor child to be injured in the first place?
  • tola (08/11/2019, 22:03) Like (2) Dislike (4) Reply
    @ What why did God allow you to be born?
  • Dr cool (09/11/2019, 09:22) Like (0) Dislike (0) Reply
    Reading this news I feel for him the tears just keeps running sad
  • Guest (09/11/2019, 12:05) Like (1) Dislike (0) Reply
    That’s good news.
  • all antural (11/11/2019, 10:59) Like (0) Dislike (0) Reply
    flour,aloes,bnt powder and coconut oil works meracle on burns.


Create a comment


Create a comment

Disclaimer: Virgin Islands News Online (VINO) welcomes your thoughts, feedback, views, bloggs and opinions. However, by posting a blogg you are agreeing to post comments or bloggs that are relevant to the topic, and that are not defamatory, liable, obscene, racist, abusive, sexist, anti-Semitic, threatening, hateful or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be excluded permanently from making contributions. Please view our declaimer above this article. We thank you in advance for complying with VINO's policy.

Weather


Follow Us On

Disclaimer: All comments posted on Virgin Islands News Online (VINO) are the sole views and opinions of the commentators and or bloggers and do not in anyway represent the views and opinions of the Board of Directors, Management and Staff of Virgin Islands News Online and its parent company.