Got TIPS or BREAKING NEWS? Please call 545-3572; ads call 440-6666                               Sittings from House of Assembly are carried live on 90.9 FM the Caribbean superstation or follow live online: www.cbnvirginislands.com

Inez V. Turnbull, long time educator & Chief Education Officer, passes

The long time educator, Ms Inez V. Turnbull, also served as an Education Officer and later as Chief Education Officer where her focus was early Childhood Education and was responsible for the early development of many of the Preschools in the Territory. Photo: Team of Reporters
ROAD TOWN, Tortola, VI- Family, friends and relatives are in mourning following the passing of long time educator, teacher, principal, and former Chief Education Officer Ms Inez V. Turnbull MBE.

The late educator, affectionately known as ‘Aunt Inez’, died on September 30, 2017 at Peebles Hospital in Road Town following a brief illness.

The indigenous Virgin Islander was 89 years of age at the time of her passing, having been born on March 28, 1928.

Served well in education

The late Turnbull served the Virgin Islands education system for many years, first as a school teacher, then after hard work climbed the ladder as Head Teacher of the Cane Garden Bay and Jost van Dyke Primary Schools, as well as elementary schools in Road Town.

The long time educator also served as an Education Officer and later as Chief Education Officer where her focus was early Childhood Education and was responsible for the early development of many of the Preschools in the Territory.

Well educated

Ms Turnbull was educated at the teacher’s colleges in Antigua and Barbados and also attended the University of the West Indies and Oxford University in England.

After retirement she remained active in the Road Town Methodist Church, along with the Red Cross and other organisations.

In 1995 Ms Turnbull ran unsuccessfully as an independent At- Large candidate in the Virgin Islands' general election.

Aunt Inez will be buried on October 28, 2017.

The Board of Directors, Management and Staff of Virgin Islands News Online express condolences to the immediate family and other loved ones on the passing of the late Inez V. Turnbull MBE.

12 Responses to “Inez V. Turnbull, long time educator & Chief Education Officer, passes”

• Fam (13/10/2017, 20:33) Like (7) Dislike (0) Reply
    RIP Anty Inez
  • Angel (13/10/2017, 21:15) Like (11) Dislike (0) Reply
    Another giant has gone home
    • betty (14/10/2017, 06:35) Like (3) Dislike (0) Reply
      At least she has something good to show for the time she spent here.
  • Tafari Zharr (14/10/2017, 01:45) Like (6) Dislike (0) Reply
    A BVI Awesome Pioneer: Whose high standards and visionary contributions has earned her an indelible place in the history books forever as one of the influential Esteemed/Educator/Administrator; an Iconic figure who inspired me and others to be aspirational. When I was a girl she gave me a Nancy Drew book for my birthday and told me that it was now my job to let her do her job by keeping my company away from her window at the Ed Department- so I started a Nancy Drew book club; Learning to Lead -Life Changing! Condolences to family RIP!
  • Andrew Cox Sr (14/10/2017, 04:26) Like (11) Dislike (0) Reply
    Thanks for your educational contributions to
    People of the territory: teacher Inez truly cared about and for our people and made sure that you understood what she thought you(what a woman) to God be the glory great things he has done with love for teacher Inez
  • Heather (14/10/2017, 11:50) Like (12) Dislike (0) Reply
    My name is Heather Wedderburn and i an from the Island of Barbados. Ms.Inez was well known to my family in fact she and my aunt Jessie were friends since the sixties and when ever she was in Barbados she would stay with us. I last spoke to her and her sister the morning when hurricane Irma was heading to the island and since then i have been trying to find out about them. I am send sympathy from my family in Barbados as well.as those who live in the U.S.A. May she rest in peace
  • T Turnbull (14/10/2017, 18:10) Like (5) Dislike (0) Reply
    Aunty Inez you always a special person to me,I remember me and my cousin used to go for lunch by your home, u a nice aunt to me and my family rest in peace special love .
  • jack (14/10/2017, 18:15) Like (3) Dislike (0) Reply
    More sad news I pray God will confirm the family

Aunt Inez will be miss RIP
  • student (15/10/2017, 07:32) Like (4) Dislike (0) Reply
    Another pioneer gone home.

Rest well until we see you again
  • Erin Potter (26/01/2018, 08:52) Like (0) Dislike (0) Reply
    The main star is a comfort. I as of now bear my workstation throughout the day at school and use it for everything, so expending those writings in there and prepared to peruse suits me well. I was dependably prescribe computerized course books for my understudies. I downloaded two-course books for assignment editing services UK, and I should state it has been justified, despite all the trouble up until this point. It's strategy superior to bearing various thick reading material.
  • christopher (13/04/2018, 02:08) Like (0) Dislike (0) Reply
    People of the province: educator truly care about and for our natives and made sure that you unspoken come again? she consideration you as Online Essay Help UK God be the magnificence great belongings he has done with love for teacher.

Create a comment

Create a comment

Disclaimer: Virgin Islands News Online (VINO) welcomes your thoughts, feedback, views, bloggs and opinions. However, by posting a blogg you are agreeing to post comments or bloggs that are relevant to the topic, and that are not defamatory, liable, obscene, racist, abusive, sexist, anti-Semitic, threatening, hateful or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be excluded permanently from making contributions. Please view our declaimer above this article. We thank you in advance for complying with VINO's policy.

Weather

Disclaimer: All comments posted on Virgin Islands News Online (VINO) are the sole views and opinions of the commentators and or bloggers and do not in anyway represent the views and opinions of the Board of Directors, Management and Staff of Virgin Islands News Online and its parent company.