Got TIPS or BREAKING NEWS? Please call 1-284-442-8000 or Email ALL news; ads call 1-284-440-6666                               Tune into 90.9FM from 04 September until 12 October for the 2019 Caribbean Premier League: visit for more information: 1 284 340 3461

7 hospitalised in STT for suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

The individuals who were hospitalised were subject to constant use of a generator in a nearby apartment. Photo: Internet Source

CHARLOTTE AMALIE, St Thomas, USVI- — With thousands of generators now buzzing daily across the US Virgin Islands (USVI), which is still mostly without electricity, the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning has grown urgent, with [US] Virgin Islands (VIPD) Commissioner Delroy Richards revealing on Monday October 30, 2017 that 7 persons were hospitalised after inhaling the colourless gas.

The commissioner said the individuals who were hospitalized were subject to constant use of a generator in a nearby apartment. Mr Richards did not reveal the community where the incident occurred, but urged residents throughout the territory to be considerate of their neighbours.

“I’m asking people to be very cautious when you have generators,” Mr Richards said on Monday night during Governor Kenneth E. Mapp’s hurricane recovery press briefing at Government House on St Croix, US Virgin Islands.

Carbon monoxide poisoning typically occurs from breathing in too much of the gas. Symptoms are often described as flu-like and commonly include headache, dizziness, weakness, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. Large exposures can result in loss of consciousness, arrhythmias, seizures, or death. Mr Richards did not say whether the individuals who were hospitalized had life-threatening symptoms.

According to guidelines put in place by the government, which are to be enforced by Department of Planning and Natural Resources officers along with help from the VIPD, residents should use their generators between the hours of 6:00 A.M. to 10:00 P.M.

In some communities, where homes are not in close proximity, residents who operate their generators beyond the recommended time period are not necessarily bothered by their neighbors’ use of the electricity-producing equipment. But for those living in close proximity, as was the case with the St Thomas incident, the constant use of generators beyond the recommended hours have not only caused illness, but also the loss of sleep and restlessness.

2 Responses to “7 hospitalised in STT for suspected carbon monoxide poisoning”

  • ABC (01/11/2017, 19:12) Like (1) Dislike (1) Reply
    This should be a warning for bvi
    • Concerned (02/11/2017, 00:30) Like (1) Dislike (1) Reply
      Agreed. Need that kind of regulation here in the BVI. Turn them off during the night. Your neighbors need to rest.
      Take notes he resident of Alvin Turnbull Appt in free bottom just above the Green Appt building. You are very unreasonable.

Create a comment

Create a comment

Disclaimer: Virgin Islands News Online (VINO) welcomes your thoughts, feedback, views, bloggs and opinions. However, by posting a blogg you are agreeing to post comments or bloggs that are relevant to the topic, and that are not defamatory, liable, obscene, racist, abusive, sexist, anti-Semitic, threatening, hateful or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be excluded permanently from making contributions. Please view our declaimer above this article. We thank you in advance for complying with VINO's policy.


Follow Us On

Disclaimer: All comments posted on Virgin Islands News Online (VINO) are the sole views and opinions of the commentators and or bloggers and do not in anyway represent the views and opinions of the Board of Directors, Management and Staff of Virgin Islands News Online and its parent company.