Got TIPS or BREAKING NEWS? Please call 1-284-442-8000 or Email ALL news to:newsvino@outlook.com; ads call 1-284-440-6666
Press Release From Independent Source

NAGICO Donates To Restoration of Old Government House Museum

Mr. Shan Mohamed, Managing Director of NAGICO Insurances BVI explained that when NAGICO became aware of the needs of the museum the company immediately decided to provide funds in the amount of $5,000 as its initial contribution. Photo: provided
ROAD TOWN, Tortola, VI - NAGICO Insurances BVI has answered the call made to the corporate community through a donation that will help restoration works at the Old Government House Museum, a Virgin Islands landmark located in the capital city of Road Town.

His Excellency the Governor, Mr. Boyd McCleary CMG CVO was presented with a cheque from NAGICO staff during an appreciation ceremony held at the Museum on Tuesday, 26th February.

Mr. Shan Mohamed, Managing Director of NAGICO Insurances BVI explained that when NAGICO became aware of the needs of the museum the company immediately decided to provide funds in the amount of $5,000 as its initial contribution.

“We appreciate the effort that is being made to keep the Old Government House functioning giving the historical significance of the property to the Virgin Islands. The people of the BVI can be assured that NAGICO will continue to support initiatives that help to promote the Territory,” Mr. Mohamed stated.

His Excellency Governor McCleary thanked NAGICO for their contribution towards the upkeep of the property which has seen more visitors in recent years since becoming a museum in 2001.

“Last year we were able to use funds to change the roof of the House and this year we plan to undertake the restoration of the gardens. We are grateful for the assistance we receive from companies like NAGICO,” His Excellency Governor McCleary stated.

During the ceremony, Mr. Mohamed and staff of NAGICO were offered a tour of the museum along with a brief history about its relationship to the British Monarchy.

The House served as the home of Commissioners, Presidents, Administrators and Governors who overlooked British interests on the island. The building’s original structure dates back to 1899, but was destroyed by a hurricane in 1924.

According to historical records, the present structure was built in 1926, but was deemed unfit for dwelling in 1996. However, due to local protest a plan to demolish the building was abandoned and a decision made to use it as a museum.

The house and gardens have also hosted a number of royal visitors including Elizabeth the Queen Mother and Princess Alice in 1964, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II visited on two occasions, once in 1966 and again in 1977, Princess Margaret in 1972, Princess Alexandra in 1988, Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh in 1994, and Prince Andrew in 2000.

Leave a Reply



Create a comment


Create a comment

Disclaimer: Virgin Islands News Online (VINO) welcomes your thoughts, feedback, views, bloggs and opinions. However, by posting a blogg you are agreeing to post comments or bloggs that are relevant to the topic, and that are not defamatory, liable, obscene, racist, abusive, sexist, anti-Semitic, threatening, hateful or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be excluded permanently from making contributions. Please view our declaimer above this article. We thank you in advance for complying with VINO's policy.

Weather


Follow Us On

Disclaimer: All comments posted on Virgin Islands News Online (VINO) are the sole views and opinions of the commentators and or bloggers and do not in anyway represent the views and opinions of the Board of Directors, Management and Staff of Virgin Islands News Online and its parent company.