The public is invited to tune into 90.9FM for “Our Territories Talk” live from Bermuda on Sunday, June 16, 2019 from 7PM-9PM: follow online live www.cbnvirginislands.com: please call 1-284-499 7815 and be part of the “live” conversation

$50m was initial budget of Ports Project - C. O. Skelton-Cline

- said he submitted a budget of $79 million to Gov’t
Former Managing Director of the BVI Ports Authority Mr Claude O. Skelton-Cline has distanced himself from the port project cost of $50M which had been submitted when the project was in the form of a public private partnership. Photo: VINO/File
Following the disclosure by Minister for Communications and Works Honourable Mark H. Vanterpool about the cost of the total project being $82.9 million and counting, critics asked how it was the project escalated from $50 million to almost $83 million with many aspects of it still to be completed. Photo: VINO/File
Following the disclosure by Minister for Communications and Works Honourable Mark H. Vanterpool about the cost of the total project being $82.9 million and counting, critics asked how it was the project escalated from $50 million to almost $83 million with many aspects of it still to be completed. Photo: VINO/File
Mr Claude O. Skelton-Cline, speaking at a press conference held at the studies of CBN Channel 51 on Tuesday evening April 12, 2016, said the Ports Project was first a public-private partnership with a consortium which represented that they could have built the development for x amount of dollars and there would be some contributions of community efforts along the way. Photo: VINO/File
Mr Claude O. Skelton-Cline, speaking at a press conference held at the studies of CBN Channel 51 on Tuesday evening April 12, 2016, said the Ports Project was first a public-private partnership with a consortium which represented that they could have built the development for x amount of dollars and there would be some contributions of community efforts along the way. Photo: VINO/File
ROAD TOWN, Tortola, VI- Former Managing Director of the BVI Ports Authority Mr Claude O. Skelton-Cline has distanced himself from the port project cost of $50M which had been submitted when the project was in the form of a public private partnership.

He made the disclosure at his press conference held at the studies of CBN Channel 51 on Tuesday evening April 12, 2016 during which he spoke of “9 percent” of everything that could allegedly be disclosed about the project.

"I want to state on the record again tonight [that] never once in my tenure at BVI Ports Authority as Managing Director of the BVI Ports Authority have we given the government a budget that says that the total development cost of this project would be $50 million," Mr Skelton-Cline said.

Following the disclosure by Minister for Communications and Works Honourable Mark H. Vanterpool about the cost of the total project being $82.9 million and counting, critics asked how it was the project escalated from $50 million to almost $83 million with many aspects of it still to be completed.

"We have never represented any such thing to the government as we were the agency that was charged with the execution of this project the only figure the only number that we have given to the government as it relates to this project was a budget for $79 million dollars and some change... that's the budget... it's a line item budget that was given to the government as relates to what this development will cost and I want to make that very clear. So the notion that somehow it was $50 million and it ended up being $80 plus million and $30 million dollars just goes to it it's just ridiculous and it's not based on anything factual," he said.

Mr Skelton-Cline said the project was first a public-private partnership with a consortium which represented that they could have built the development for x amount of dollars and there would be some contributions of community efforts along the way.

However, because this team was unable to achieve financial close in the time that the government had allotted, it was at that point the project went to another procurement process.

Skelton-Cline said that the public private partnership would have afforded the opportunity to complete the project at a cheaper cost because the equipment would have been owned in some cases by the private partnership. He said too that the minute the project changed in its orientation there was no way that it would still be built for the cost of $50 million.

Skelton-Cline's three year contract with the government as the BVI Ports Authority Managing Director came to an end at the end of November 2015 and it was not renewed despite the Minister for the subject praising him for a job well done and Skelton-Cline allegedly being given the assurance that it would be renewed after the June 2015 elections.

32 Responses to “$50m was initial budget of Ports Project - C. O. Skelton-Cline”

  • wize up (17/04/2016, 12:29) Like (5) Dislike (23) Reply
    Claude will NOT tell a lie; he might not recall the actual facts BUT we wont lie to his people: looking forward for him to announce his new political party.....
    • @ wize up (17/04/2016, 14:23) Like (15) Dislike (4) Reply
      He might be fortunate to get 2 votes. His own if he remembers to vote for himself and your vote, that's if you remember to vote for him. By the way, can inmates run for office? Just asking
    • zoe (17/04/2016, 15:53) Like (9) Dislike (0) Reply
      looking forward to his appointed as CEO with the BVI hospital Services. He uncle Ronnie and Partner
      John got this one n the back until it reaches Cabinet
    • Keep Silent (18/04/2016, 12:42) Like (0) Dislike (0) Reply
      Bro. Claude I am on your side. I want you to do one thing though, Keep Silent! You know the word let the Almighty Creator fight your battles for you. Nuff said.
  • Cronyville (17/04/2016, 12:58) Like (13) Dislike (1) Reply
    Someone or all those involved have some explaining to do because an entire election was possibly hijacked based on possible deceptions.
    • wize up (17/04/2016, 13:17) Like (10) Dislike (30) Reply
      cronyville: NDP were reelected because the voters had no viable option when they went to cast their vote on the 8 june 2015....the voters of this territory are iinteligent people....you have to stop blaming the voters for the questionable actions of the politicans of this territory.... the justice system need to do their job
      • Cronyville (17/04/2016, 15:41) Like (9) Dislike (2) Reply
        @wize up. Thanks for your perspective, as well as for some of your other comments, even the funny ones. Now how do we get the justice system to do their job? Nevertheless, I will take your feedback into account the next time I post. Enjoy the rest of your evening.
        • wize up (17/04/2016, 23:06) Like (9) Dislike (0) Reply
          @ cronyville: one love....i dont know how old you are BUT i never thought that i will to see the day when this territory is in so much mess and at the end of the day the mess is all about money OUR tax money...Gross mismanagement and nothing is being done to correct these issues; only the civil servents are arrested(all now 3 police up the ghut while other crooks walking & talking)....keep the faith

          • Cronyville (18/04/2016, 07:59) Like (4) Dislike (0) Reply
            @wize up. I did posted another comment vilifying you for part of your comment about your options, but now I can see that you're ok, just wants the best for our country all around. So I hope they do hold back my last comment. One Love.
      • vip (18/04/2016, 00:49) Like (6) Dislike (0) Reply
        There was an option but peopke like you were either bought or too stupid and brainwashed to realize it
      • Cronyville (18/04/2016, 07:41) Like (9) Dislike (0) Reply
        @wize up. I did say that I would take your comment into account the next time I posted, so I revisited the list of candidates on the VIP ticket, just to check if I did missed something the first time. My conclusion- I think your comment is coming from a “place of Ignorance.” In fact, I recommend that you urgently need to nourish your brain cells so as to think with a higher degree of objectivity. Then, after your brain cells have been fed, you can respond to the only part of your comment that made any sense, that is (rewritten as a question)- How do we get the justice system to do their job? I'm waiting...
      • Cronyville (18/04/2016, 08:09) Like (4) Dislike (0) Reply
        I did reply to your last comment vilifying you for saying that there were no options in candidates for last election, which in my opinion they were, but now I can see that you are ok, just looking out for what’s best for our country. I hope they replace it with this comment instead.
  • new house (17/04/2016, 12:59) Like (52) Dislike (0) Reply
    More lies lies lies
    • facts man (17/04/2016, 23:34) Like (9) Dislike (0) Reply
      there is too much nepotism with the appointments too especilly this one. Everybody's wife and girlfriend and relative get a post at the Port. Not fair for ordinaryB V Isalders. Hard to make it unless you know somebody
  • The Reaper (17/04/2016, 13:13) Like (5) Dislike (6) Reply
    What the F&&k u
    You want boss ..Why u don't go back America
  • qc (17/04/2016, 19:42) Like (11) Dislike (2) Reply
    Look how these man making telling lies a sports
  • dog (17/04/2016, 22:19) Like (7) Dislike (0) Reply
    "He said too that the minute the project changed in its orientation there was no way that it would still be built for the cost of $50 million". So indeed, the cost DID explode regardless of his explanation, the public should have been told or it should have been brought to legislature. If that is the case, then the minister of finance was VERY irresponsible.
    • True (18/04/2016, 11:58) Like (2) Dislike (0) Reply
      Indeed, the MoF may have been very irresponsible, but what will be the consequences?
  • pat (17/04/2016, 22:50) Like (3) Dislike (0) Reply
    here the government's budget was $50 mil. He admitted submitting $79 mil. He explained they couldn't get the public/ private partnership going but the bottom line remains it was irresponsible all the way around to move forward without proper funding. He explains like it was right and appropriate and he has a clear conscience. maybe yes,
    but he is a lousy manager.
  • Boo (17/04/2016, 23:16) Like (5) Dislike (0) Reply
    Looks like Detroit all over
  • the rock (17/04/2016, 23:31) Like (8) Dislike (0) Reply
    the press conference did not help him as CSC base instincts; pettiness to the point of cutting of one's nose to spite their face!
  • kelo (17/04/2016, 23:44) Like (7) Dislike (0) Reply
    Where are the police when you need them????
  • farmer brown (17/04/2016, 23:48) Like (5) Dislike (0) Reply
    I must admit to being a bit confused here. is he throwing his Minister under the buss?
  • SHUT UP (18/04/2016, 01:26) Like (4) Dislike (0) Reply
    Time to be quiet Clyne. Silent. Let Ronno and Kedro fight your Battle for you.. The more you talk the guiltier you sound..
  • okay (18/04/2016, 07:43) Like (3) Dislike (0) Reply
    If the estimated project budget was $79million, then this amount should have been listed as the expenditure line item, with an offsetting line item to record the expected revenue stream from public/outside sources.
  • Just wondering (18/04/2016, 08:40) Like (1) Dislike (0) Reply
    So he said in the interview it wasn't 50 mil but now he's saying its 50 mil? I don't get it
  • Well (18/04/2016, 08:57) Like (3) Dislike (0) Reply
    We the people have to understand that when government takes on project, for sure the procurement figure will go beyond. Exhibit" A "the new Peebles Hospital.
  • WTF (18/04/2016, 10:51) Like (3) Dislike (0) Reply
    If the original budget was $50 mil, what did you do with the additional $34 mil? Claude you have to give more than 9% explanation.
  • Lily Ann (18/04/2016, 16:23) Like (2) Dislike (0) Reply
    Somebody please stop by RTW and buy couple Rat Traps ... We have a rat on the loose ...
  • voiceofthevoiceless (18/04/2016, 20:55) Like (1) Dislike (0) Reply
    It seems that Claude Cline is just laying the ground work for his case by claiming that the revised budget of 79 million was approved by the Cabinet which shows that he executed the project for the most part within budget. The 4 million dollars over expenditure is reasonably expected for a project of this magnitude as it falls within 5 percent. So he is basically saying I did a good job and it was reasonably expected that my contract would be renewed. This along with the evidence that the board recommended that his contract be renewed and the Minister saying that he did a good job could also help his case.

    What is most disconcerting is that the budget estimate went up by 29 million and the people were not informed of this. Why did they not come back to the people and explain the cost had risen? Did they go through the necessary protocols to get the additional financing that was required? Why not cancel the berthing agreements and downgrade the project?? Where is the transparency? Where is the Government in the sunshine?


Create a comment


Create a comment

Disclaimer: Virgin Islands News Online (VINO) welcomes your thoughts, feedback, views, bloggs and opinions. However, by posting a blogg you are agreeing to post comments or bloggs that are relevant to the topic, and that are not defamatory, liable, obscene, racist, abusive, sexist, anti-Semitic, threatening, hateful or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be excluded permanently from making contributions. Please view our declaimer above this article. We thank you in advance for complying with VINO's policy.

Weather


Follow Us On

Disclaimer: All comments posted on Virgin Islands News Online (VINO) are the sole views and opinions of the commentators and or bloggers and do not in anyway represent the views and opinions of the Board of Directors, Management and Staff of Virgin Islands News Online and its parent company.