Got TIPS or BREAKING NEWS? Please call + 1 284 346-6397 or 393-6397 or 1-284-494-1338-office; ads call 440-6666                               Sittings from House of Assembly are carried live on 90.9 FM the Caribbean superstation or follow live online: www.cbnvirginislands.com

2018 hurricane season begins tomorrow as first named storm claims two in US

-Alberto made landfall in US region on May 28, 2018 in Florida
As the Virgin Islands (VI) prepare for yet another above-average hurricane season, the first named subtropical storm Alberto has claimed the life of two American journalists. Photo: Accuweather
Photojournalist ,Aaron Smeltzer and News anchor Mike McCormick of NBC affiliate WYFF of Greenville, South Carolina were killed when a tree fell on their vehicle while providing media coverage on the storm. Photo: NBC
Photojournalist ,Aaron Smeltzer and News anchor Mike McCormick of NBC affiliate WYFF of Greenville, South Carolina were killed when a tree fell on their vehicle while providing media coverage on the storm. Photo: NBC
Deputy Premier and Minister for Natural Resources and Labour, Dr The Honourable Kedrick D. Pickering (R7), and Governor Augustus J. U. Jaspert stated that the territory will be ready for the 2018 hurricane season which is said to be above average. Photo: VINO/File
Deputy Premier and Minister for Natural Resources and Labour, Dr The Honourable Kedrick D. Pickering (R7), and Governor Augustus J. U. Jaspert stated that the territory will be ready for the 2018 hurricane season which is said to be above average. Photo: VINO/File
Following the hurricanes of September 2017, many businesses and homes throughout the territory were destroyed. Photo: VINO/File
Following the hurricanes of September 2017, many businesses and homes throughout the territory were destroyed. Photo: VINO/File
Hurricane season probability and numbers of named storms. Photo: NOAA
Hurricane season probability and numbers of named storms. Photo: NOAA
ROAD TOWN, Tortola, VI - As the Virgin Islands (VI) prepare for yet another above-average hurricane season, the first named subtropical storm Alberto claimed the life of two American journalists.

Reports coming from US media outlets is that WYFF News anchor Mike McCormick and photojournalist, Aaron Smeltzer, two television journalist from Polk County, North Carolina were killed when a tree fell on their vehicle while providing media coverage on the storm.

According to the National Hurricane Centre in Miami, Alberto had weakened to a subtropical depression and was centred about 50 miles west-northwest of Dothan, Alabama with sustained winds of 35 mph.

The report also stated that although the storm had weakened, there would be potentially life-threating flash floods as it moves through the region.

In Cuba, approximately 20,000 people were evacuated across the islands as Alberto’s outer bands dumped about a foot of rain which caused rivers and reservoirs to overflow.

Will VI be ready for the 2018 hurricane season?

Meanwhile, in the Virgin Islands local authorities expressed in a series of press releases and press conferences that the territory will be ready for the upcoming hurricane season.

However, it can be seen as one traverse throughout the territory that many businesses and homes are still without a roof, while some buildings are still in the state that Hurricane Irma left it during its passage on September 6, 2017.

Deputy Premier and Minister for Natural Resources and Labour, Dr The Honourable Kedrick D. Pickering (R7), stated at a press conference on May 16, 2018, that the Virgin Islands (VI) will be prepared for the peak of the 2018 hurricane, while adding that Cabinet is “comfortable” based on the information they have received from the Department of Disaster Management (DDM).

He said, “I think Cabinet is comfortable. Everything won’t be in place for June, but most of the issues will definitely be in place as time evolve and certainly by the time of the peak of the hurricane season to ensure that we can face any storm.

Governor Augustus J. U. Jaspert expressed in a joint press conference with Dr Pickering that currently the hurricane preparedness is of paramount importance for local authorities, while admitting that things are not "perfect" but emphasised that local authorities have "a plan, vision and money" to do what is necessary to get the territory ready for the hurricane season.

Also, Sharleen S. Dabreo, Director of Department of Disaster Management (DDM), told journalist during a press conference on May 2, 2018, that her department is aiming to install a majority of the emergency warning systems by July, when the peak of the hurricane season begins.

The emergency warning systems were destroyed during the hurricanes of September 2017 and some half a million dollars has already been allocated to DDM to purchase some of the equipment.

DDM will be releasing a list of shelters tomorrow, June 1, 2018.

Predictions

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Climate Prediction Centre is forecasting a 70 percent chance that the 2018 Atlantic hurricane season will be near or above average.

Forecasters predict a 35 percent chance of an above-normal season while a 40 percent chance of a near normal season and a 25 percent chance of a below normal season for the upcoming hurricane season, which extends from June 1 to November 30, 2018.

NOAA’s meteorologist is predicting a 70 percent likelihood of 10 to 16 named storms with winds of 39 mph or higher.

Five to nine could become hurricanes with winds of 74 mph or higher, including 1 to 4 major hurricanes at category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher.

The report states that an average hurricane season produces 12 named storms of which 6 become hurricanes including 3 major hurricanes.

6 Responses to “2018 hurricane season begins tomorrow as first named storm claims two in US”

  • Lord (31/05/2018, 14:10) Like (26) Dislike (0) Reply

    look trouble for us again; hurricane season start and me roof not even put on.

  • Marie (31/05/2018, 14:56) Like (21) Dislike (0) Reply
    My sentiments also. I am constantly being told the grant money to put on our roof will be soon. I gave them all the information they asked for and still nothing. I think this is a hoax because no level minded person could possibly think we will survive without a roof. Many of us are still suffering. To make matters worse, we live in a flood zone and insurance companies are reluctant to insure us because they would have to constantly put out money to us, so everything we do is out of pocket. We are senior citizens and things don’t look to bright for us. What is the holdup? If they would just tell us the truth, we wouldn’t be waiting every day to hear from them. This is sad sad sad.
  • babs (31/05/2018, 15:12) Like (14) Dislike (0) Reply
    Where did they get their figures from? 80% of living structures are not even fixed! Yes, because their homes are fixed they have turned a blind eye to the realization that most of us will not survive another hurricane without a roof, that was told that Grant money would help us. Something here is not right!!!!!
  • DON Q (31/05/2018, 16:33) Like (30) Dislike (0) Reply
    Lord send help
  • LOL (31/05/2018, 17:23) Like (8) Dislike (6) Reply
    Wow so sad pray and stop think negative no hurricanes this year
  • Hmm... (03/06/2018, 08:16) Like (0) Dislike (0) Reply
    It's the beginning of the hurricane season and still the emergency centers haven't even began reconstruction. With tenants as myself whose landlords decided to put back on wooden roofs, where are we to run to if such a disaster strikes again? I guess I have to make friends that have concrete roofs huh?


Create a comment


Create a comment

Disclaimer: Virgin Islands News Online (VINO) welcomes your thoughts, feedback, views, bloggs and opinions. However, by posting a blogg you are agreeing to post comments or bloggs that are relevant to the topic, and that are not defamatory, liable, obscene, racist, abusive, sexist, anti-Semitic, threatening, hateful or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be excluded permanently from making contributions. Please view our declaimer above this article. We thank you in advance for complying with VINO's policy.


Weather


Follow Us On

Disclaimer: All comments posted on Virgin Islands News Online (VINO) are the sole views and opinions of the commentators and or bloggers and do not in anyway represent the views and opinions of the Board of Directors, Management and Staff of Virgin Islands News Online and its parent company.